Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day 5--Rocky Mountain National Park, CO

K and I got an earlier start this morning because we were going further afield. I had my coffee and we got ready to head out. We decided that we would have lunch on the way. The first stop was at a camera store in Golden to see if they had a lens cap for my camera--mine got misplaced somewhere in my apartment. They didn't have one but I did enjoy seeing K's eye glass over in desire for all the cool gadgets on display. She restrained herself and we continued on our way. I spotted a cafe in a strip mall a few miles further. We had already committed ourselves when I spotted the medical marijuana clinic next door. Hmmm...I thought...it might not be so good, with many customers having the munchies you probably didn't have to rely on quality to build your rep. The breakfast burritos were OK--the green chili was very tasty--but I chose veggies for mine. On the list of choices was potatoes, I didn't choose them but later found that all the breakfast burritos have potatoes. Don't have it as a choice then!!! Oh, well, I can't say that it wasn't good, but I doubt that if I lived nearby I would return again. K agreed with me.

Our next stop was Estes Park. We pulled up to the scenic stop and I spotted this blue flash. I got all obessive about getting a photo of this blue bird. I thought it was pretty cool. It seems that it was actually a Stellar's Jay. I spent about 10 minutes getting this photo because everytime I would locate the dang thing with my zoom he would flit away to the next spot. Grrr!!!

K shot quite a few photos of the chipmunks. I took a few as well, here is a pretty decent on of the little guys. K's photos were a lot better, she has much more patience than I have and better equipment. I think I have a pretty good eye but with photogprahy you really need to get beyond just snapping. The best photos come from taking the time to set up and analyze the scene.

Nearby there was a sign that said do not feed the animals but the old couple next to us had come prepared with a bag of nuts. Back in the car, K and I discussed how we wanted to point out to them that they should feed the animals but clearly the damage had already been done to these animals, we both felt to inhibited to chastise our elders and it probably wouldn't do any good anyhow. The next car probably came prepared with goodies as well. It seems that most people or at least enough to cause damage don't think much beyond what entertains them.
Once through Este's Park, we used my National Park Pass to get into the park. Wow, immediately, I realized it was beautiful. We started to climb elevation, for the most part I wasn't overly panicked. We turned in a got a few photos. Here is a great photo of the valley below.

And I spotted K doing her thing. I really like this photo because it makes me feel that I have a true photo of her in her element.

We hung around for a bit longer. K got some good photos of a bird in a tree. We also chatted with a guy that had a pretty powerful lens on his camera and he and K discussed shots, big animals etc. In the mean time I was able to get this photo of what I think is a Clark's Nutcracker. He stayed for quite a while letting us take his portrait.

Back in the car and on up stopping at pull-outs along the way finding the temps and the the weather changable at each turn. Here we stopped an enjoyed the glacial lakes below. We kept spotting yet another lake. I don't think either of us were successful in getting all the lakes in one photo, he is one of my attempts.

And I loved being high enough to view the winding river below. It looked like a mythical snake winding its way through an enchanted valley.

On up and I got a bit itchy to get out of the car and have the cool air carress me. Especially after days of hiking in hot arid Utah. We stopped and I explored a little. I went out to an outcropping and walked around it. Here we were in the tundra so I stayed on the trail to protect the fragile ecological system. I was fascitnated by the colors and the height. Breathtaking and not because the air was thin.

Still we continued to climb, the next stop was my first view of an actual glacier. To think that this water in this place in this form has been right here well before English immigrants even thought of constructing a country to call their own. There are no words to express exactly how awed I was by this.

We had reached the 13000 foot mark when I got out for a little hike across the tundra to see what could be seen. The temperature was fairly brisk and about 3/4 of the way to the end it started to rain a bit. I picked up the pace because I wanted to get this shot before I had to make it back to the car.

Once the photo was taken, I began to make my way back to the car, then it began to sleet and I sprinted back. I was thinking two things. First that I could actually sprint at this altitude and not feel like I was likely to keel over and two that here I am running in the sleet when just two days before I was feeling overwhelmed by sun beating relentlessly down on me and I just wanted to push on the walls of the 105 degree air pressing down on me. I made it back to the car and had a chance to thaw out before we stopped at the summit lodge for lunch. I bought a couple of Christmas gifts to leave with my younger brother to dole out at the appropriate time.
We also enjoyed watching a family of marmots playing outside the lodge. The ranger said that there was a mom and four kids in the group. I couldn't seem to get the photo that really wanted so this one had to do.

After lunch we headed down out of the tundra and back below the tree line. Here we stopped and I realized that we were in the valley were I saw the winding river.

I walked out a little bit and found the Three Wise Men formation. Quite different from the one that I had seen at Arches. Each spectacular in their own way.

We had been in the park for hours with our eyes wide open on the look out for big game to shoot. Nothing, just birds, chipmunks and marmots. I was resigned that I wouldn't see anything this trip we were on our way out. And then...off in the distance, I spotted something moving...a herd? cows, wait no...hey K I was saying as she was pulled off the road. She had spotted a car stopped on the other side. I hadn't been watching the road at all, I was looking out across the field. We got out and spotted the elk, a full herd.

As we angled around to get a better view of the herd, more people were joining us. I felt like a little kid at Christmas. K spotted the fully racked bull lounging in the grass first. It took me a while to see him but once I did, wow, this is great I thought.

We watch for a while longer, then the bull got up rounded up his herd and they mosied off. Almost like they were saying show's over folks, time to go home. And it was. It had been a full day and I had a full day of driving ahead of me the next day. I was going to drive across Kansas and into Oklahoma. A night in Stillwater to see my brother and then home to Mom. The entire purpose of setting off cross country was near at hand.

No comments: