Friday, November 11, 2011

Re-joining the Digital Divide

On Monday, I decided that I had enough of me wasting time watching TV and playing Bejeweled on Facebook, so I walked down to my local AT&T Store to see if I had a contract and if I didn't what I needed to do to get rid of ATT Uverse. Turns out that you can't find that info out at the AT&T Store. You can set up the account but you have to call an 800 number for everything else. Hmph. I returned home, found my often wayward iphone and called the 800 number. I didn't have a contract so I could disconnect my service with no penalties. I was transferred to the proper person and he began to initiate my disconnect. First he asked me if it was too expensive. I said no out loud but was saying yes, yes, yes, in my head. But really this wasn't the reason I was disconnecting so I didn't want to negotiate my way into keeping the service. The service guy with a strong Southern accent couldn't really comprehend that I just wanted to turn the service off. He asked..."Are you switching providers?" I replied no. Clearly I didn't understand his question because he followed up with "You're getting service from someplace else?" I replied no. He querried again "You're not going to have TV and internet at home." I replied yes, that is right. I'm tired of wasting my time watching TV and surfing the net. He still didn't want to let this go, he added, "Do you want to see if we can get you a better deal." No but thank you, I said sticking to my guns. I could almost hear him thinking "What kind of un-American nutcase doesn't want TV reception at home?" But he took in a deep breath clearly shaking his head on the other end of the phone and started the disconnect proceedings. I had one more day of TV left. After watching my final Big Bang Theory episode and playing a few Begjeweled games, I turned off the TV and computer. Got my book out and enjoyed a quiet evening on my sofa with Misha as a tummy warmer. I was ready to get back to my quiet apartment again.

No comments: