Monday, April 28, 2008

Looney Tunes?

I often work overtime in Valencia on Sunday afternoon. Santa Clarita has an extensive trail system that is really nice. There is a mile marked trail near the library that is 5 miles out and 5 miles back in. The start of the trail is in the Lowes Shopping Center lot. The Starbucks with a restroom makes it an attractive start. When I am properly motivated, I like to head down the hill early. Get a decent run in, head to the gym for a shower, grab a bit of lunch and then head to work.

Several months ago, I was running between mile 2 and 3 along the wash right behind the Toyota dealership when I spotted a road runner crossing the path in front of me. I like road runners they are truly distinctive little birds. We don't have them in Oklahoma, so I am fascinated with how they scoot with determination. My day was made. I am always pleased by what can be seen on the trail. I continue about a hundred yards further and what do I spot. None other than a Mr. Coyote lazily scratching his ears in the wash. I glance up heavenward to make sure there isn't an anvil waiting to crash down on his head. No, no anvil. I realize I am not actually in a cartoon so I watch Mr. Coyote to make sure he continues to be lazy. When I look again, he is gone. This is the interesting thing about coyotes they are fast and quiet. He wasn't any more interested in making an introduction than I was.

I am fine spotting rabbits, roadrunners, distant coyotes and other small scrubland life, but my one true worry is happening upon a mountain lion. Last year after the fires, there were quite a few sightings in Santa Clarita. Perhaps that was also why the coyote was down there, too. I hadn't seen one on the trail until after the fires. And this day was actually the second sighting I had had of one.

The first time I saw a coyote was about a month after the fires. I was running back--also between mile 2 and 3 when I noticed something that looked like a dog in the middle of the trail. Only he really didn't look like a dog. He didn't have dog vibes about him and when he slunk under the fence, I sensed that he really didn't move like a dog either. I looked around and no one was on the trail ahead of me or behind me. These are fairly well used trails, so I was surprised. I continued by and when I warily passed the brush near him, I saw him warily eyeing me pass by. Yep, this was no dog. After I safely got passed I exhaled.

About a minute later there were other people on the trail. Of course!

No comments: