Friday, May 30, 2008

Sex in the City

This evening is the premier of Sex in the City. I am looking forward to seeing what has been happening in the lives of Miranda, Carrie, Charlotte and Samantha. When I express my anticipation to my female friends, the response is similar to my own. In fact, I have just gotten off the phone with my friend Mary about dinner and show times for this even. However, I haven't found a guy that gets Sex in the City much less looking forward to a full-length feature film.

Why am I so keen on Sex in the City? Mostly because one Friday night, my roommate Carolyn, a cute, petite curly-headed blonde with a bad cigarette habit and I had one of our usual conversation about how mystifying relationships and men can be. Not fifteen minutes later, I was calling Miss C out of her room to listen to Miranda and Carrie having almost verbatim the same conversation we had had. And, about 6 months before Carrie registered herself for a pair of Manolo Blaniks, I voiced that since I had and might I add still have no prospects for marriage and have decided to take my genes out of the pool, I should register myself at Macy's and send everyone an invitation to a "This is as good as it gets for me" party. I am perfectly happy with being single but I have also spent lots of money celebrating other peoples life events so why can't I have my own party. So the appeal of Sex in the City is that it resonates with all the ups and downs that 30 something and now 40 somethings like me have had with relationships. The fabulous clothes don't hurt either! So if you are watching Sex in the City this weekend. Have a Cosmo, Manhattan or whatever, and Cheers!

1 comment:

Carolyn Abrahams said...

who is this cute, petite, curly headed blonde with a bad cigarette habit you write about? ah, that was another life. i sure don't feel too cute these days but am without a doubt still short (the only trait you mentioned that i have not and cannot change). my hair is straight today (we had ball last night) and i would say light brown in color. that bad cigarette habit was kicked some time ago; but as you must have felt when your beloved sex in the city gals went off the air, i too feel about my smokes.