Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sex in the City Review

Mary and I met at 7:00 at the theater to buy tickets for the 8:45 show. We decided to go to Chili's for dinner. Dinner was fine and I had a Manhattan (since I don't like Cosmos) for the occasion. This was my first Manhattan and it had a bit of a bite to it. As I sipped I pondered that if I found a Manhattan to be strong what would an LA be? I decided as my second drink, a Lemon Drop, would be close enough--sugary, glamorous, & pretentious but packing a bit of a kick. By the time we left for the movie, I was quite glad that Mary was driving.

We found pretty good seats about 20 minutes before the movie started. When the lights dimmed, there was a cheer from the crowd. I didn't realize so many people had actually be waiting for the movie as much as I was. The crowd was pretty vocal throughout the movie which as interesting. It was almost like being home--a rather large home--with a lot of girlfriends over for movie night.

The movie didn't disappoint. It was as I expected it to be, only bigger, brighter and a much bigger budget. It was almost as if they took a full season's storyline and trimmed it down to a full length film. This isn't bad but I almost wished that I could have another season to see all the ups and downs of the relationships. But you take what you can get. I observed that the men had surprisingly little dialog but what can you do? We are talking about condensing 12 hours of story into 2 In the end, I was so happy when Carrie got to wear her Manolo's--this does not crash the story in any way. So if you get the chance, enjoy!

At 11:30, I was on my way home. I will happily buy the DVD when it comes out.

No comments: