Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New President

Yesterday, I went to the gym to watch the Inauguration. I don't have TV reception at home--I have no patience to wait for Time Warner to install cable--so I have to get creative when it comes to TV watching. The gym is a good place, I get the added benefits of getting a workout and not wasting my money on a gym membership that I never use.
So, while I was sweating to on the elliptical machine, I saw our historic president installed in office. As Mr. Obama was walking down, I noticed he has laugh lines. I like that. If a politician laughs enough to have laugh lines, I think that he/she is someone I want to work for me. And let's face it in the coming years, Mr. Obama will need a major sense of humor to keep his sanity. Notice, Mr. Bush--no laugh lines--see what happened to our country--give me laugh lines--I can trust them.
Only time will tell how this all shakes out. Mr. Bush keeps talking about how history will judge him so he is leaving office with a clean conscience. I don't see history being overly kind to Hoover. Maybe Nixon was somewhat vindicated for the good decision he made--giving Okinawa back to Japan, pulling all the troops out of Vietnam and developing relations with China (some are still out on that one though)--but history but no has never said that he did not try to over throw democracy as well as lied, cheated and stole his way through the presidency. I can't see history ever coming up with much praise for Mr. Bush. Not unless, Jeb gets into office next and has the textbooks rewritten--always a possibility and maybe that is what Mr. Bush is holding out for.

No comments: