Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How Can a Small Gland Cause So Much Trouble


The thyroid is a small but mighty butterfly shaped gland that will mess you up but good if it decides to malfunction. I've been back from my Road Trip for a week now. It was fantastic and I will post photos and details a bit later. Since my return I have been dealing with apparently thyroid stuff. UGH!!! That and what might be a bladder infection. Doctor says sitting for long hours in the car may have contributed to it. Yeah! What a souvenir to bring back. It seems to me whenever some thing unusual goes on in my body and I do a bit of research on the list of likely suspects is Thyroid. I have read quite a bit on the thyroid so I am wondering why I am constantly being taken by surprise. It is almost like someone out there has perverse pleasure in withholding information until you go digging for it. What I would like to have is "So you have hypothyroidism now, here are all the things that may go wrong with you." That little yellow pill is not a magic panacea like you were told it would be. You will never be the same again. But then we would all go to bed and hide under the covers hoping to wake up from this nasty dream. Here is my favorite. I am reading a diet book--I have gained no less than 45 pounds since I started exhibiting thyroid symptoms. The book starts off saying that weight gain is simply an input output calculation and no one really has a slow metabolism...UNLESS YOU HAVE A THYROID CONDITION. Talk about knocking the wind out my sail. Let me just pack those size 10s up and give them to Goodwill because I will probably never be able to wiggle them over my hips again. This is a particularly sensitive topic to me at the moment because I gained 10 pounds during my road trip. AGAIN. Every time I travel, I gain 10 pounds. I came home and now my non-stretchy clothes don't want to fit.
So what is my new thyroid induced problem, well most women seem to have it for five days a month. I am now thanks to my thyroid possibly blessed with significantly more light days. Doctor says that it is most likely a hormone imbalance and there is a pill for that. But in Hawaii, my Gyno told me that hormones were the most likely culprit for heart palpitations and to stay away from hormones. Joy. Probably both hit the nail on the head. Fantastic. Yes, irritability for most of the month makes me so happy. I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this.

No comments: