Saturday, June 13, 2009

Life is Good


Truly it is. My glass is half full. Sometimes, I forget and instead focus on what I don't have and the disparity between what I have and what I want. But there will always be something that I want, something that I will feel will make my life perfect if only, if only I have this one thing. I acquire it only to find that I am lacking something else. What I should focus on is the half fullness of my life.
If someone had told me at the age of 17 that I would live in Japan, San Francisco, Slovakia, Hawaii and LA; that I would travel around the world, see some amazing sights, meet amazing people and have a very special network of fantastic friends I would have been so exciting. I am quite sure I would have said "Wow, it sounds like I am going to have the best life ever, I can't wait to get started with it." When I think about my life like this, I think I have had it pretty darn good and still do. I love my job, I am working to get out of debt. I have a list of goals to work towards and I have a beautiful niece staying with me this summer. I am getting to know this very special person and in her I see a part of me when I was her age. It is enchanting to see her face light up with wonder or scrunch up in puzzlement with the things that I now take for granted.
Yes, life is good. I have insurance to cover my health issues; the knowledge to know when I am not getting the full picture and the resources to figure things out. So the doctor tells me I have a type of menorrhagia. He is not quite sure why, but the most likely suspects are that my thyroid is confused and is sending confused messages to my ovary; my ovary may be confused on it its own; or a fibroid may have ripped the uterus. Not as likely but also possible is cancer. We have to sort out the cause before the solution can be discussed but the solution ranges from endometrial ablation or hormone therapy to a hysterectomy with the latter being the worst case scenario. On Thursday I had my blood drawn for a full panel thyroid test; the same test that I fought with my doctor a year ago to get. Now I am getting it which only proves that you should be careful what you ask for. Next month after I come back from Vegas I will have an ultrasound and then two weeks later I will have a uterine biopsy. The doctor has promised that this nifty little procedure will be very painful since I have never had children. I am on holding pattern for the next month. I have stocked up on sanitary products because I will need them. I wonder if I will notice when my next period comes or if it will all just bleed into one. Oh, cripes that was an unintentionally bad pun.
I had a mini meltdown after the office visit. But then I thought, things could be much worse. Many people have far greater health issues without the knowledge, resources or support network to deal with them. Yes, I don't appreciate putting up with the nonsense of having to wear dark clothes and the prospect of dealing a minimum of 6 weeks of PMS but I am not in any pain or real discomfort. I also understand the source of my irritability which makes it easier to deal with. As far as menorrhagia goes the glass is half full.
Life is good.

3 comments:

Lillian said...

Yes, whenever I think life sucks, the one thing that helps me is to remember that I am MUCH better off than lots of other people -- and probably most of the world.

And revel in your "Aunt"ness. It was/is my favorite part to play!!

Sorry about your health problems -- sending you lots of positive psychic energy. Please call if you need support/info -- I went through a hysterectomy myself 9 years ago as a result of a giant fibroid.(I wanted to see the thing so the doctor obliged with a polaroid -- we all have our own ways of dealing with what life throws at us!).
Lots of love!

Karen said...

I agree with Lil - I would so rather be an Aunt than a Mom.

I too am sending you hugs! Let me know if you need to get away for a weekend and I will make it happen.

Sapphire Lucy said...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.