Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hosting a Chocolate Tasting


All I can say is Thank God for the Internet! For some reason, I got the bright idea to plan a chocolate tasting this summer as an adult program. I have done two Chocolate Extravaganza programs for teens that featured a chocolate fountain (which is sitting on my balcony at the moment). The kids enjoyed trying all kinds of things in the chocolate including the surprisingly tasty chocolate & broccoli combination. But all that oil really puts me off chocolate and I hate cleaning up the mess the fountain makes. Also enticing a group of adults to try veggies with their chocolate didn't strike the right chord of what I wanted to do with them. So I decided a chocolate tasting would be fun. I had two months to figure out what I needed to do. And then...Louise happened and we had record breaking days at the library with a short staff and one drama queen.
Saturday, before the program on Tuesday, I started searching the internet. I found this life saving site: Savor Chocolate which included a handy tasting placemat and tasting guide. All I had to do was read up, prepare some chocolate trivia games and purchase the chocolate which I picked up a good selection on Monday during lunch at Target--success!!
I had 26 people come to my tasting which is a good attendance for an adult program. Everyone expressed their happiness. I actually had two chocolate connoisseurs at the tasting. I am glad I didn't know about them beforehand because I would have been quite nervous, but they said they had a good time and pointed me to a chocolate shop that has real chocolate tasting.
Now the site also has instructions on hosting a choctail party which as soon as Louise and what ever else is going on with me is sorted out, I plan to host. Today, I have to figure out how to decoupage bowls for Tuesday. I haven't decoupaged anything since I was 7 years old and my mom showed us how to do magazine collages.

No comments: