Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New Concept: Books that are Overdue Incur Fines


You would think that this is a no brainer, right? I grew up in society with libraries. One of the basic rules is that there is a due date and when you don't renew the book before the due date or bring it back to the library, you get charged a fee for each item each day that you didn't bring it back. Seriously, I learned this lesson when I was 5 and my mom would gather books up to take to the post office to send back to the Choctaw Nation Library's books by mail program.
So I am always astounded by the pronouncement: "I owe money? But I returned everything!" Well, yes you did, 9 months late so now you have a $10 fee for each thing! "Can't you take care of that? I returned everything." "No, I am sorry I can't, while you had those books other people couldn't check them out and it is important for us to know where our items are." "But you have to do something, I can't pay $35--I returned them." And around and around we go. Repeated daily sometimes multiple times a day.
So how is that so many people do not understand the concept of fines at the library? It is such a basic part of our society that library fines are discussed in books, TV and numerous other interactions. It is such a basic concept that I have to wonder do these people come from a different planet? Seriously, I'd like to know.

No comments: