Thursday, August 6, 2009

What a Relief!

All the drama of the past 2 months has dissipated with a huge sigh of relief. The doctor says that Louise is shrinking and may disappear on her own. I don't have cancer and that the bleeding was probably caused by a polyp that he may have gotten during the biopsy. I will go back in 3 months for another ultrasound to see if Louise is still packing her bags and vacating my abdomen. So for now, I am OK! I am so happy.
Yesterday, I had a few moments of panic when I checked in. Usually they just have me verify my birthday and last four of my social to make sure it is me. But yesterday, they asked to see my ID and my health insurance card and had me sign a paper making sure that everything was correct. I asked if I was the only person she was doing this to, but all she said was that she wanted to check to make sure everything was right.
Of course here I am thinking that the worst and that I might be asked to directly to the OR to take care of what ever they found in the biopsy. So it was with some trepidation that I entered into the cubicle to wait for the doctor.
The one thing I noticed was that everyone asked me "How are you today?" Somehow our social conventions seem weird and awkward in situations like this. "Hmmm...well I don't really know, you are hold the answer to that question not me" is what I wanted to say but I just meekly said, "fine" and added "I think" to the end.
But what a relief to be able to answer the question without thought a few minutes later.
I of course called my mom who has been on pins and needles waiting for the results. She even said that she would drive across the huge desert alone and brave the LA traffic to come to see me--although she wouldn't actually have to brave LA traffic due to the fact that we are on the East side of LA, but it is the thought that counts--she doesn't know that you hit Santa Clarita before LA. But I was so happy that at some point I laughed while I was talking so she couldn't understand what I was trying to say. Mom said "Stop giggling and talk to me." My poor mother has had to put up with the strange and varied sense of humor that all three of her children inherited from their father. My poor mom has to put up with so much she really is a saint and I am so proud to have her as a mother.

1 comment:

Lillian said...

Sighing with relief along side you!! Now a celebratory ice cream or margarita is definitely in order ;-)