Sunday, September 20, 2009

What I am reading

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up 100 ways to Simplify You Life by Joyce Meyer. It was new title that came in, so I checked it out. Over lunch at Baja Fresh, I started this title. Quickly I discovered that this was based on Christian doctrine and thought about tossing it back into the bookdrop but thought "No, I am opened minded, I will go through it there may be a few nuggets, then I got to page 1 and I read the follow quote: "It's like removing an egg yolk from the egg white--both can be used separately." This stopped me in my tracks, I said wait a minute: yeah the yolk plus egg white is OK if you are talking about an omelet, but what about a meringue--that is only good if you have egg white and what about custards--they are only good with an excess of yolks.
And I do love my custards!! Creme Brulee--Heaven in a Dish!! I spent hours trying to fix this analogy but couldn't. Some times an egg whole is fantastic and some times the part make something better and sometimes they combine to make something more. That is life.
So I gave up on this title and still have gotten over the bad analogy yet, just ask my mom. I ragged on the analogy this morning during my weekly phone call. My mom said "Well, the book wasn't for you." What words of wisdom, I was trying to be open minded and it failed because the other side simply could not see that the constituents can come times be stronger than than the parts but other times stronger.


Otherwise, I finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. The Masonic tradition is taken Ok. But if you have watched What the Bleep Do We Know then you are ahead of the game here. Dan Brown is a good story teller taking fact and fiction, meshing them together in a compelling story. I can't wait to visit one of my favorite cities and see all the landmarks talked about. I love DC, it is among the most European cities in America. But I visited during a time with the only days above average temp were they days that I was in a workshop. Yet, I loved running along Embassy Row in the morning and into George Town. In the evening we search out the best Sushi the restaurants had to offer. Dave showed me Sushi as I never saw it in Japan and I introduced him to Caviar at a Russian Fusion restaurant. Little did we know in May that by October that our lives would become so inextricably entwined.

But what I am really enjoying right now is The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix. This is a young teen series that I love. I am impressed that I am on book 4 and still find the series interesting and still with turns and twists that I couldn't have imagined. The depths of course could cause controversy, God, the Architect a woman? It segues well with the Dan Brown new title. I am having fun here.

No comments: