Sunday, February 14, 2010

New Year Musings


Today is the convergence of the Chinese Lunar New Year and Valentine's Day on a long President's Day weekend. How often does this happen?
I am renewing my resolutions and hope they stick this time. The first 6 weeks of the solar year was just practice and a dry run right?
The library is now open and we are beginning to settle into a rhythm. It has been incredibly busy with lots of details that require my attention. We have had over 2,000 new card applications so that has taken up all the staffs' time. This past week, I put in extra hours due to programming and community obligations. I am so ready for a long weekend.
My apartment has been out of control for a while now. Since I will be moving at the end of next month, I spent the morning weeding some of my stuff and establishing some order.
The cats are growing and are a joy. Well for the most part. 4:00 a.m. requests for belly rubs from Misha are wearing me out. And Sasha's insatiable curiosity gets frustrating. Nothing and I mean nothing can be left out without it coming to his attention. He gets up on everything and then pulls things down for Misha to play with. Misha seems to be a jewelry thief as I find him carting earrings and necklaces off for his personal enjoyment. And their love of cheese--what more can I say.
So it is New Year's again. The year of the Tiger. The last Year of the Tiger had me in Japan (which celebrates it with the solar New Year). So many things have happened over the past dozen years. Moves from Hiroshima to Honolulu to California. Completing my Master's. New jobs, marathons, the loss of my father, new friends, health issues, some steps forward and some steps back.
What do I hope the next year holds. I hope to finally GET IT RIGHT!! All those things that I want me to be but just am not, I want to become or to forget. So in other words I want to realize who I am and who I am not and then live true to this person. That's all, not much to ask right?

No comments: