Sunday, February 28, 2010

Apartment Hunting Blues Part I

I really wish that finding an apartment was easy and straight forward. But it is not. This morning I looked at some of the classified in the Glendale Newspress online. It seems that I might be able to get something comparable to what I have now for not much more or possibly even less. YEAH! But now I have Sasha and Misha and I need to find someplace that accepts cats. Some do, some don't, some want Cat Rent some want Cat Deposits and some want both. Some want a full month's rent in deposit and some anywhere from $300-$800. Then comes the looksey process which I dread and then deciding how much in overlap rent I want to pay.
Let me state right now, I am tired of paying overlap rent. I have paid up to a month every time I have moved and it gets old especially considering how often I have moved in the last 4 years and then of course factor in the big move from Hawaii and I have spent a lot in moving expenses. Why can't this be cheaper and easier?
My main thing this time is that I want quiet and no drug ealers living below me. I am tired of having questionable people hanging out socializing with my neighbor on the stoop that I have to roust them up from so that I can get to my apartment. I also would like to have a nice kitchen that has lots of space.
Tomorrow afternoon, I might go see a space near the library if the people have moved out. The deposit is $700 plus I have to give the guy $200 for each cat that I will never see again. He says it is a deposit and I guess he is right, it will deposit the money from my account to his. I am not keen on this. Then in the evening I am going to go see Jerry and a couple of his units in Glendale, he wants a full month's rent as deposit and says we will have to talk about the cats. Then on Tuesday morning I am going to North Hollywood to see Freda's apartment. This one requires $800 deposit and she really likes cats so I guess there isn't a cat deposit or rent. It is a two bedroom for less than $1300. I wouldn't mind living in North Hollywood which is kind of in the thick of things but still on the edge. It would be about a 10 mile commute which isn't bad.

No comments: