Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Week in Review

I can't believe that the week is over. Monday was a holiday and Tuesday was my day off. So the rest of the week, I had a hard time figuring out what day it actually was. Monday, I hosted my first event down in the Rec Room. Mary and the twins had birthdays this month, so the usual suspects got together to wish them a Happy Birthday. I made a variety of salads and yaki-tori (teriyaki chicken on skewers) as well as having humus, shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers. For the most part I tried to keep things simple and mostly healthy. The chocolate ganache birthday cake, though, was squarely unhealthy.
Tuesday, Mary and I went to see Black Swan. What a powerful performance by Natalie Portman. And very disburbing. It took a while to recover from the film. Seeing madness creep into her life was un-nerving. Being left wondering what was real and what was imagined does not sit well. In some ways it reminds me of Robert Parsig's books Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintance and Lila: An Inquiry into Morals.
I also picked up my new furniture from Urban Home on Tuesday. I got a dining table, daybed to use as a sofa and an end table. Of course parts got left at the store and required an additional trip back to Stevenson Ranch. I am pleased with the furniture.
Tonight I go pick up a TV from Sears which means that once again I am flat broke until payday but this is the last high ticket item I want for a while, so beginning February, I should be able to tuck some $ into my bank account.
Wednesday was a normal work day--shipment, shelving, avoiding the pile on my desk. Thursday was our Regional Library Manager meeting in the morning and then in the evening Town Council. This makes for a long day. And leaving for work on Friday morning at 7:00 am after getting home closer to 11:00 pm. But I made it. Repeat of Wednesday. Shipment, shelving and problem solving.
Saturday, I did not shelve books--well, only a few--mostly straigtening shelves. I did not check in books, I did not have shipment to do. Rather, I spent one of those rare days of doing mostly Librarian work which included spending 5 hours on the reference desk, setting up a display, making staff schedules for February, and preparing for a Valentine's Display and the One Year Anniversary Slideshow that I plan to fun during the Crescenta Valley Jazz Band Performance.
I made a half sheet that says I heart My Library Because... I will post them as part of the Valentine's Display but I am also transfering them to my Powerpoint and will alternate photos with the the quotes. So far my favorite is... I am 6. I like I can play in the kid section. I also liked: The staff is really kind and professional and most importantly FRIENDLY, not like the staff at that other libray. Ok so that one will get a bit of editing before it is added. Lot's of kind words for the staff.
It is always busy but next week will be busy getting ready for the 1st Anniversary. We will have a Puppet Show, the Jazz Band with the Powerpoint, and birthday cake & punch. Last year, I was in a total fog most of the day. I was so thankful that Elaine the FOL president organized the Jazz Band and the Crescenta Valley Women's Club organized all the refreshments and Mike Lawler the Historical Society President organized the Medallion Dedication in the evening. It was a long but realitive easy day for me and I am positive I would have been completely overwhelmed. Thank you to my wonderful community, I have enjoyed the year working with the community and getting to know it better. I look forward to many more.

No comments: