Sunday, February 6, 2011

Morally Opposed

I have often stated that I am morally opposed to LSSI (Library Services and Systems Inc) that is taking over the management of the Santa Clarita Libraries. I don't think that it is in the best interests of community to have public money used for a for profit group that uses volunteers to enhance its profit margins and does not disclose what those margins may be. Would you volunteer for Walmart? I also do not believe that a for profit group that has a history of not paying its bills on time and tries to guilt public sector librarians into feeling like they are dirty and wrong for having a retire package is acting responsibly. I put money in for retirement. I don't necessarily believe that it will be there for me when the time comes in the same vein that I have been told from day one that Social Security won't be there for my generation either. Yet I put money in hoping for Vegas Odds. I also regularly go to Vegas with the same hopes. Maybe one will pay off in the end. Between you and me, my money is on Vegas, though. But what is wrong with building your career and hoping that eventually you may have a secure retirement?
In the parking lot outside Valencia Library, I had a brief chat with another employee. We are getting a lot of comments from customers as we get closer to the wire of change. Customers are concerned about the future of the libraries. We don't say much, other than that they will have to wait and see. I just say that I understand their concerns. There is no turning back but I have hopes that the City will opt to build their own system without LSSI.
The more that I think about LSSI, read about about sustainabilty and the Military Indurstrial Complex, I beleive that LSSI is a symptom of the the dangerous path that America is traveling down. LSSI is essentially the professional equivelent of an industrial farm hiring migrant workers to keep prices down, avoid providing health insurance and actually living wages to its employees. The more I ponder this, the more I become convinced of the connection and the more I feel that I need to be more responsible with my own buying power. The more I ponder this, the more I see clearly exactly why I am opposed to LSSI. I have heard that the average retirement for LSSI employees is 25K a year. This is shameful. The big guys at the top make the money and the workers on the bottom are treated like bottom feeders. For all the reasons that I feel am being to believe that the military industrial complex with its pesticides, mono-culture farming, and contained animal feeding operations is eroding the future of American agriculture, the more I am able to understand that doing business the way that Walmart, LSSI and other industries of the ilk are eroding the rest of the United States. I am not quite sure how I will make changes but I see them coming. For my health, my well-being and for the future of the next generation.

No comments: