Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Day of Training

Today was my day off. Thank goodness because I felt more detective yesterday than Librarian. A kid stuck gum in one of our electrical outlets. I had three of the four in my office for quite a while. Of course, getting information out of them was an exercise in geeting past the I don't know's and wuddn't me's. Finally after about an hour, and phone calls to the parents, the kids came back wanting to make a clean breast of it all. The told me the other kid did it. Of course, so the first part of my day off was spent at our regional office filling our paperwork and calling the school. Fortunately, the school is very responsive and because the kids haven't made it home from school when they are in the library, anything that happens at the library is a school problem, their councellors deal with problem and can met out a pushiment. My bark is really and truly worse than my bite, but I keep this little fact a deeply guarded secret around the pre-teens and teens. Sometimes, I get tired to being bad cop. When I worked at IIE, I used to tell the Assistant Director, that I wanted to be good cop for a change, he could be bad cop.
After I got back, I made breakfast--a breakfast burrito--and then walked to the mall to get a Dr. Pepper and then I stopped by Target to buy some tape for my feet. I tape my arches to help prevent orthopedic program. I came back home, changed into the my running clothes, grabbed by iPod and then headed out for a two hours out on the Santa Clara River trail. I ran some. I'm not sure how far I went, I certainly hope that I covered more than 6 miles which is what I should be able to cover if I were only walking. Sigh, I may have only gone 6 miles.
I came home, changed into my swimsuit and went to the gym for a quick swim to release my back and shoulders from the run/walk. After the swim, I sat in the wet sauna for 10 minutes.
Oh, I know that I am going to be sore tomorrow. But I needed to know that I can at least do 9.30 miles without keeling over. A couple of weeks ago, I signed up for the a 15K run in San Diego on Sunday, March 25. This will the the first run, I have done since before leaving Hawaii. I was looking on the internet to see if I could find a run that might inspire me and when I spotted the Hot Chocolate 15k I gave out a bark of ironic laughter and then clicked on the sign up.
With the run on the horizon and with me feel much more focused, this past Sunday, I started the training. I took a very easy pace on the treadmill and was able to sustain an hour and 4 miles. But running outside is a very different from running on the treadmill.
If I enjoy this run, I can sign up for the October 13th run in Denver and the November 10th run in San Francisco. I would have the opportunity to visit friends in both places and retain focus on getting my life back.
I'm looking forward to going down to San Diego. I have been here for almost 6 years and I still have been down there. I'm going to go down on Saturday to pick up my race packet and to check out the logistics of the getting to the race on Sunday morning. Sunday morning will be spent at the race. I only hope that they don't pack up the after party before I get there. After the race, I plan to go back to the hotel for a shower, change and recovery. Then I would like to just check out San Diego. I have taken Monday off so that I can take my time driving back.

1 comment:

Karen said...

What? A birthday visit to Denver? I'm sooo there! :)