Monday, October 27, 2008

It Hasn't Rained Until You Came Back


It seems that yesterday was the biggest rain Oahu has had in almost a year. Of Course, is all I have to say. The forecast said that it would be most sunny with scattered showers--in other words fairly typical Hawaii weather. However, I woke up yesterday to a gray low hanging sky--you know the kind that signals that it is hear to stay for a while. There was no wind to send it elsewhere so I went down to the ABC Store to buy an umbrella. I came back, reconsidered my shoes and decided that my slippers were the best bet, my feet were going to get wet anyhow, I might as well wear shoes that dried out quickly. I decided to walk down to Ala Moana--about 2 miles from Sand Villa where I am staying. I called S and later A, friends and former co-workers to arrange a meeting at Brew Moon in the afternoon.
I headed out, got past the Royal Hawaii Village which is all covered, and stepped out on to the sidewalk only to find a few minutes later, the sky had decided to open up and dump thousands of gallons of water on Waikiki. Of course! I quickly reconsidered my shoes again, my feet were sliding around in the slippers, I decided I might as well take them off until I got to Ala Moana. So I did and walked barefoot for the next 30 minutes. When I got to Ala Moana, once again under covered walk ways, the rain relented. Yes, that's right. Of Course.
I checked out the Ala Moana expansion, so that some shops have come and other have gone. Next, I walked over to the Ward Center and Ward Warehouse. Compadres, the Mexican restaurant I had my first meal in Hawaii in and drank a lot of wine with M on Sunday afternoons at is now gone. A said in the just the last several weeks. Runner's Room, where I went to see if I could buy a new pair of shoes also gone.
In the afternoon, A and her husband T, met me at Brew Moon. This is were I spent numerous Happy Hours with the free WiFi eating Happy Hour Kaulua Quesadilla's and drinking Happy Hour Beer while working on my Master's. I discovered the Quesadilla was no longer on the Happy Hour Menu--it was no longer the $4 I paid for it but was now $12.95.
A & T had just returned to Hawaii after several years in Japan and DC. It was fantastic to catch up with them again. We regaled each other with stories. Later S came with his family. His wife had to take the new little one home but 6 year old R stayed with him. She remembered me, so I was really happy. I was the first person other than Mom, Dad & hospital personnel to hold her after she was born. I was so nervous holding her. She had turned into a beautiful child. S and his wife C are fantastic parents.
We talked story until about 8:00 pm and then A & T dropped me off at my hotel. It is great to reconnect with friends. It felt like we hadn't ever been apart and the four years that they were gone & the two I was away dissipated without a trace.

No comments: