Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sushi Tabemasho!

Several months ago I noticed a sushi shop called Aomori Sushi in Canyon Country not far from my apartment. Now, I know what Aormori means (blue forest--or perhaps green because Japanese has a bit of confusion over the two colors). The confusion is most evident when you should go on a blue light and stop at a red one in Japan. They have the same traffic signals we have--they just see it as blue. Also when we call someone Green as in inexperienced that say that you are in your blue years. Any I have digressed, my point here is that I know what Aomori means but I doubt that other people in the US actually would. The point being here that I deducted that this particular sushi shop might actually be owned and run by Japanese as opposed to all the other Japanese restaurants owned by Koreans. I find this a bit odd since the Koreans and Japanese don't particularly get along. However, the Koreans are fantastic business people so I am guessing that if Americans want Japanese food then that is what they will serve. It is a shame there aren't more Korean restaurants around because I really like Korean food as well.
I explained my theory to J several weeks ago. Last Sunday after our Sunday reference at Valencia he asked if I wanted to try the restaurant. I agreed and we met at the gate to walk over to the restaurant. I was right, the shop is run by what appears to be a Japanese family. The wife is from Yokohama. I don't know about the husband--yet. J and I ordered Chirashi Zushi. Chirashi Zushi is a bowl of sushi rice. Just to clarify matters here Sushi means vinegar rice--it has nothing to do with raw fish, seaweed or anything other than the fact that is it often but not always served with raw fish. Chirashi Zushi is a layer of sushi rice with a layer of other stuff. At this restaurant the sushi chef piled it on with maguro (ahi tuna), ikura (fish roe), squid, scallops, yellow fin, egg blocks, and a bunch of other stuff. J and I tucked in with much enthusiasm. Wow, fantastic. We ate until we were super stuffed. J had warm sake and I had a Kirin. This little hole in the wall sushi shop is really the best sushi I have had since I left Japan. How is it possible that a restaurant in Canyon Country can be so good.
Well, actually all the restaurants I have been in at Canyon Country have been above average. Within a reasonable walking distance from my apartment there is the Amori Sushi, 3 Italian restaurants, a Thai restaurant, a Panderia (Mexican Bakery), a Mexican Seafood restaurant and then some others. I started thinking about the Santa Clarita communities and Canyon Country is where all the locally owned restaurants are. If you want to go to Olive Garden, TGIFridays, BJ's, Chili's or any of the other big chains outside of Denny's and IHOP then you have to go to Valencia. I am pretty happy with my neighborhood and enjoying the local flavor.
On Thursday, I sent J an e-mail asking him if he wanted to do dinner at the Aomori's again. He agreed. We had both been thinking about the fantastic sushi all week. The second time did not disappoint either. It will become a regular place for me know, I think.

No comments: