Monday, April 27, 2009

Dreams Do Come True




That was the theme for the Disney Land wedding and family reunion I attended this weekend. Although not really part of the family, I did receive a family t-shirt and was told that now there is no turning back once I put the t-shirt on. My friend M,who was assigned as my mentor when I became a library manager took her role seriously and as sort of adopted me into her rather tight-knit family. Her younger sister, D, is runs one of the bookmobile and D's twin sister lives near my library. I have been to Vegas for family get-togethers, spent family Christmas with them and now the reunion. Everyone has been very welcoming and I feel like part of the family. It is nice to have that interaction and it makes living like a lone-gypsy comforting. In Hiroshima & Hawaii I had my hashing family and now in California I have the Reyes family.
So this weekend was the culmination of almost a year's worth of family for the first wedding in the family in 10 years. The wedding was beautiful and everyone in the family had roles--putting together favors, hair, makeup, dressing, banquet duty,etc. This was a true family effort. It was awe inspiring to see.
On Friday morning M picked me up to head for Disneyland. In the car the phone started ringing and did not stop for most of the weekend. I call it the Reyes Coconut Wireless and it is amazing to behold. Within minutes everyone knows what everyone else--all 50 of them--is doing.
On Friday shortly after we arrived we headed to the ticket gates to get our annual pass. I decided to go for the annual pass because there is a monthly payment plan and we worked it out that if you come to Disneyland 6 times in a year it will begin to pay for itself. Since the weekend counted as three times then we only need to come for Halloween, Christmas and at least once this summer. I plan to bring my niece at least once this summer so that she can have fun. I might even buy her a lesser pass which pays for itself after two visits.
Everyone said that the park was more crowded than usual for this time of the year. You would never know that the economy was slowing down--other than the shops going out of business in Downtown Disney--by the volumes of people. But if they are all annual passholder then Disneyland has become an economical place to go with the family.
Yesterday, M's nephew took us to Company D which is the company store for Disney employees. Since her nephew works at ESPN Zone in Las Vegas he is a cast member and qualifies. I got my niece some souvenirs t-shirts, sweatshirts etc. I got us both Cast Member exclusive T-shirts. Only connected people can get them so that should make her happy. I am looking forward to having my niece here this summer. D's and E's daughters are the same age so she will have some teens to hang around with.

No comments: