Sunday, April 19, 2009

Goal Visualizing




Several weeks ago, I was looking through an issue of Runner's World with deep nostalgia when I came across an ad for The Bay to Breakers Run in San Francisco. My first race ever--a 3K midnight run on New Year's Eve--still resonates fond memories. I have long wanted to do the Bay to Breakers which is in May. I know that this year, it would be impossible--the heel spur is still giving me grieve. But I thought next year. Ahh, next year, I want to have all my credit card balances paid off and I want to go back to Hawaii and do my favorite race--The Great Aloha Run over President's Day. And I want to... And I want to... I decided to cut the ad out to remind myself that I really want to run the Bay to Breakers next year. I will need to train as well as somehow coax my body to reabsorb the heel spur.
As is the way with my mind, on good thought leads to a much bigger one that usually ends up costing me money. This time it cost me about $25. What was the big idea? Well, I decided that I would build a scrapbook for my goals to keep them in my mind. The scrapbook was fun to put together and I now have a set of goals. Some short term--Go to Oklahoma to pick up my niece for the summer. Some longer term--Hike the El Camino de Santiago within 5 years. Some tangible--Read 12 library management books in the next year. Some more intangible--Concentrate on finding more balance in my life. At any rate putting the Goal Book together was a lot of fun. I searched on the internet for some photos that best represented my concept of the goal and then cut and pasted everything on to scrapbook pages.
Once again with my habit of extrapolating ideas to the breaking point--I thought this might actually be a good summer reading program for adults. I decided to check the internet out to see if anyone else had this idea. I come up with big ideas but they are rarely original. Sure enough I found this website: on creating a collage for goal visualization.
The summer reading program for libraries this year is Be Creative for children, Express Yourself for teens and our system has adopted Color Your Summer (I think) for adults. Anyway, I believe that offering a program for Goal Visualization would be a lot of fun and fairly easy to do--just bring in some scrapbook supplies and a bunch of magazines for them to find photos of their goals. Through in a few snacks and not only do I have a library program, I am working towards meeting another goal of offering at least 3 adult programs during the Summer Reading Program. YES!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great article and a fun activity to get together and make a vision board...visualization is one of the best tools to manifestation...another great tool which takes it a step further is vision map videos, they are the same as vision boards, only you can watch them on your computer and/or any of your electronic devices....and they are for your eyes only....have fun, and happy visualizing...

darlene
Hi there…

Thank you for approving me for your friend/expert....i look forward to networking with you and if there is anything i can help you with be sure and let me know...

To approve this friend request you need to go into Community and then go to User Name - Search, my User Name is Darlene Siddons and then select Add to Friends, I will get a Friends Request and I will approve it….thanks so much

I would love for you to check out my Vision Map Videos, they are great for business, advertising and personal use, thanks.

Namaste,
Darlene
http://visionmapvideo.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/spiritdancing