Thursday, April 16, 2009

What Has Happened to My Milk Carton?


I bought milk last weekend at Sam's Club. At first I thought they had run out of the white liquid but then realized that what I thought were misplaced gas cans were actually my new milk jug. Looking at how they were stored, I realized right away what was goal of adopting the design was because it was deemed someway more green. I could live with that, I would get used to the strangeness. At least those were my thoughts until approximately 7:45 the following morning when I poured about a cup of milk on my floor in a half awake attempt to wet down my cereal. Look a little closer at the design of the jug, I realized that although it may have all the advantages reducing costs of production, shipping and delivery, it was very poorly user oriented designed. A quick search pulled up this article from the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/business/30milk.html. So according to the venerable news source, I just need to get used to it as more and more stores adopt the green-jug. I have to think that there is some design that is both ecological and user friendly. I don't know if Canada still uses milk bags with spouts--much that way that we now get wine in a box. Canadians would buy a reusable container to house their milk. Many people reused the milk bags as other bags to carry cosmetics and other items because they were very durable. I know this because a Canadian friend carried her make up in one such bag. I definitely think getting milk from a spout would be easier and less messy than from a wide mouth jug that takes considerable practice not to get on the floor. What do you think?

1 comment:

Karen said...

I visited a friend in Montreal in October, and she had the milk bags with spouts. I had never seen them before so I thought it was kinda freaky.