Saturday, March 20, 2010

Balinese not Siamese Thank You Very Much


It seems that with a little search on the Internet, I can call my mixed-tabby-black-long-hair kitties Traditional Balinese rather than Siamese. Sasha and Misha have fairly long hair and gorgeously plumed tails. Sasha is a seal point with silky creamy fur where as Misha is more elegantly darker. Misha's hair is longer but not as fluffy as Sasha's. They both have a few beigish tabby stripes on their legs and a dark spot on their tummies. Misha's tummy spot is darker. The Balinese website says "The Traditional Balinese (aka Applehead Balinese) cat combines the unique personality and intelligence, robust body type, pointed coloring, and the minimal shedding of the Traditional Siamese, with a softer voice and a silky coat." Well, Sasha has a softer voice and his coat is as soft as rabbit fur. Sasha sometimes has a whisper meow. Misha on the other hand grouses around quite a bit more like a Traditional Siamese.
The website says that Balinese are loyal and will follow you around. Yep, they do--even to the bathroom. When I take a longer than usual shower, without fail, I get a cat looking around the curtain telling me to hurry up--shouldn't waste water.
Sasha and Misha also love the computer. They have learned how to turn it on and actually know how to do things that I just don't do--like change my screen resolution for me--they like to see bigger pictures, and pause the game Bejeweled--I need the occasional pointer and tip on how to get a higher score.
Traditional Balinese used to be called Long-hair Siamese until sometime in the 50's when Californian Mary Dorsey began breeding and showing the longer haired Siamese. She decided that Balinese was more elegant and reminiscent of the lithe elegance of a Balinese Dancer. Since Sasha is my graceless wonder--I might not want to push the Balinese moniker too heavily though. Decide for yourself. Here is a photo of a Traditional Balinese.

No comments: