Monday, March 29, 2010

Jammed Packed Week

As I mentioned yesterday, last week started off with me getting my Probationary Performance Evaluation on Monday. Monday night I stayed late at the library with the Glendale Stamp Club. This month was the club's first meeting in their new home. On Tuesday, I had the book club on Tuesday. I had another good turn out for that. Then on Wednesday afternoon I went to the charity luncheon "Smartathon". I was on the 4 person CV Library BookWorms team. My team didn't place in even the top third. We were not so boned up on general trivia. "What percentage of American never was their car?" I don't know, I guess we missed that on as well. I chose 15% over the 5% and 1% choices. It was fun, though and I look forward to next year's chance to prove that I do know a lot of useless facts.

Thursday was my day off but had to come in for a bit more than an hour for Audio Visual training. Our meeting room is kitted out with state of the art systems that we had to get taught how to use. Over the past 2 months I have been pressing buttons, hoping for the correct response and then forgetting which button got me what I wanted, thus repeating the cycle of push and hope.
Since I was on this side of of the world anyhow, I decided that I would drive over to Forest Lawn in Glendale and spend the day with dead people. It was a very relaxing and wonderful day with beautiful weather. Sometimes, the dead are just the right people for you to be around. I enjoyed walking the Labrynth, seeing the David and the Last Supper rendered in Stained Glass. Forest Lawn is more than a cemetry with a muesuem, art work and relaxing vistas.

Friday evening, I went to the local Catholic Church's fish fry. St. Clair has been hosting this charity fish fry since 1978. On Friday's during Lent, St. Clair serves up tasty fish and chips for the hungry locals. It is a community event with about 300 people in attendance. I go with Diane and her family and who ever else drops by the table.
Saturday, I took the Wheel of Reading to Two Strike Park for the annual Arbor Day celebration for the La Crescenta community. The kids love to spin the wheel for little prizes and books.
At the end of a quick 2 hours, I returned to the library, had some lunch and got ready to go up to St. Luke's to meet the Historical Society Bus Tour. We boarded the bus and was led on a two hour tour of the local historical sites in the area. I never knew so much history was packed into this valley. We were led by the local president of the Historical Society Mike Lawler who invited me along and his friend, historical film maker John Newcombe. They took us along the route to see parts of Newcombe's film Rancho Canada Then and Now. The highlight of the tour was a trip up to The Sacred Heart Academy that was bought by the Catholic Church for $120K after it failed as a hotel in the late 20's and early 30's. Overall, It was a fantastic trip and a good week. I am in love with my new community after my week of events.

No comments: