Friday, May 13, 2011

How Very Strange Revised


Ok, I don't get it. I went to my blog in Firefox and there was the post from yesterday. I signed in and it wasn't there. What up with that? I just don't know.

But anywhere here is the Feline Follies post

Last Wednesday, I was home no more than 10 minutes when Sasha started to wretch. At first I thought he was hacking up a hairball but all that came up was some clear saliva. About 10 minutes later he started meowing in distress and vomited up more saliva. I walked around the apartment and realized that he had been throwing up for a while. Poor baby. I tried to give him some water but he wasn't interested in that. What to do? I thought about it for a while and decided that I might need to take him to the vet. My concern was that if he became overly dehydrated he might have kidney failure--cat systems are pretty delicate in this area. I didn't want to come home after a long day of meetings to a seriously ill cat. I looked on line and found the Emergency Pet Clinic in Newhall, I called and they said to bring him in.
I got out the kitty carrier and brought it inside. I shut the bathroom door and the bedroom door. Misha looked at the carrier with curiosity but no real worry. It seemed that he processed that he was not sick, there was only one carrier out so it wasn't intended for him. Sasha seemed to process this same information with the same conclusion because in the corner of my eye I saw Sasha slink under the sofa to the sweet spot where he was just out of reach at all angles. I pulled the sofa out, he moved, I pushed it in, moved again. This repeated for a while until he went under the chair. I had better access to the chair.
Basically with him kicking and screaming I got him in the carrier and got him in the car. Pitiful meows responded to what I hoped to be soothing "It's going to be OK." He seemed to be saying "No, it's not. I'm OK really let's just go back home. Please. Please." We got to the clinic just as the people ahead of me put their dachshund on the counter. The preliminary diagnosis was rattle snake bite. This meant that it would be a while before the vet was freed up to see Sasha. Later, the tech took him into the examining room and started with his vitals. The vet asked me if he had gotten into any poison, drugs, little items, etc. etc. I answered negative to my knowledge. She said that they could do x-rays or just give him fluids and a couple of shots. I opted for the shots and said that if he didn't perk up then I would go for the x-rays. They put a hydration pack under his skin, gave him two shots to calm his tummy and presented me with a bill for $250.
I got him home and he seemed to already be perked up. Sasha is my delicate cat. With his sometimes whisper meow and rabbit soft fur, he has a sensitive tummy. I had had the boy cats for about 2 months when at Christmas he seemed very listless and unresponsive. I took him to the vet who suspected that he had ingested a piece of Styrofoam or so something. Apparently he gets lots of these case during the holidays with all the various packaging that pets can get into. Then came the bouts of constipation and the worse bout of diarrhea. After that I change their dry food to Sensitive System food and things seemed to settle down for him.

The next morning as I was getting ready for my long meeting, I heard retching in the kitchen. "Oh, no he's still sick" ran through my head. I went to investigate, I found Sasha as right as rain but Misha had just vomited up clear saliva. I looked at him and said, I don't have another $250 to spend on you--you have to get well. I left the AC on which I hadn't the day before in hopes that if it had gotten too hot for them the previous day and that was why Sasha was sick, they would be nice a comfy that day.
I came home and both cats were back to normal. Whew!

No comments: