Saturday, May 14, 2011

Was My Guardian Angel on the Job Today?

This morning when I arrived I work, I found a 12 pack of broken beer bottles in the parking lot. I thought, "I need to call this in" which was followed by "It's Saturday...sigh...I'll have to clean it up." I went inside to get the day started there before I gathered up the broom and dustpan for the broken glass. Shortly after arriving we got a phone call from Newhall Library see what our coverage at the library for the day was like and would it be possible for me to cover the library? After a little bit of problem solving, I called back to say that I could cover the library and would leave soon. I got my bag together and headed out the door. I got into the parking lot among the broken glass and realized that I needed to get that cleaned up before I left for the day. I went back inside, dropped by handbag off, and retrieved the broom and dustpan. Many of pieces were still pretty large and a customer dropping off items in the bookdrop got out of her car and picked up the cardboard six-pack holders and put them in the trash can. She tsk-ed in dismay that someone would be so irresponsible. I agreed and thanked her, she responded..."I know you guys work really hard and do a good job, but you don't get paid enough to do this." What a nice thing to say. I finished the job, in all about 7-8 minutes worth of work. I got in my car and headed for Santa Clarita.
Right before the 118 near the Wheatland exit the cars started to bunch up. A CHP unit rolled by, lights flashing on the shoulder. I looked up head to see that the freeway was closed due to an accident. Sitting in my car, I realized that the accident happened about 7-8 minutes before--the radio said three cars were involved. All traffic was being diverted off the freeway at the Wheatland exit. Twenty minutes later, as I rolled past on to the exit, the Lexus SUV was being righted. It had clearly rolled and was in bad shape. If I hadn't had to stop to clean up the glass in the parking lot, I would have either been just past the accident when it occurred or right smack in the middle of it. Although I would have preferred to have been the former than stuck in traffic for 30 minutes, I clearly preferred the inconvenience of being stuck than to have chaos swirl around right in front of me and quite possibly involving me. So kudos to my poor overworked Guardian Angel that keeps vigilance over me.

No comments: