Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Stories from around the World

The Summer Reading theme this year for kids is One World Many Stories. When we were planning the programming, I decided I wanted to do a storytelling program. I have been interested in storytelling for a while and during the last Mother Daughter Tea, I flexed my skills with stories about my mother. When you are the boss, I guess you can call the shots, so I chose a date and added it to the children's programming schedule. In May it seemed so long in the future. Gradually the idea bloomed and I decided I would tell 3 stories from 3 different countries. Since Estonia has a special place in my heart for stories telling that was a given. Also, Japan was automatically included, not only because I lived in Japan but also because this week's programming revolves around Japan. That left one more country. I thought about a Cinderella story of some sort and explored that for a while, but then I ran across the book Forty Fortunes by Aaron Shepard. I thought it was such a charming story, I decided that this is my third story. Then I decided to put together a Powerpoint presentation with some cultural notes and images from each country. I also added a few words in each language. Ok, I was almost ready to tell the stories: The Old Traveler from Estonia, The Crane Wife from Japan, and Forty Fortunes from Iran.
Then last night, I got a bit panicky that I would make a fool of myself. What ever was I thinking. But I calmed myself, went over the stories in my head and remembered that all I needed to do was to envision the story and tell what I see in my head. Stories have a natural progress and repetition.
Last night I thought Oh I should take the kids on a magic carpet ride, I could take my rug that I bought at Goodwill last month that my dining room table is sitting on top of. And I could wear my haori, that would make me look a bit special, I need to get into character. --yes, black tights, black shirt, black haori, and my heels--that will give me confidence.
So this morning, I dressed and rolled up the carpet, then I had the idea of taking my flameless candles and their containers--all Goodwill purchases as well. When I was getting dressed this morning, I was deciding on my jewelry when I happened upon a round cystal barrette. Oh, maybe I'll put this in my hair. Oh, something streaming from it would look exotic. I know, I have some wired ribbon. So I ended up making myself something of a facinator with ribbon and my barrette.
I came to work, and began to set up the room, I set up a table with the computer, added a bird nest wreath to cover up the computer, added the flameless candles and some other flowers, dimmed the lights and set up a CD playing new age music. I was ready for my storytelling adventure.
I practiced unfurling the carpet, it worked like a charm--that is until I did it for the program. Instead of rolling out, it thudded to the floor still half rolled up. I kicked the carpet all the way out, sat on the carpet told the kids to shut their eyes and repeat after me: By the light of day, by the moon at night, let us hear stories of magic and delight. We were off. Only a few little mix ups, I couldn't remember what my not-a-fortune-teller-fortune-teller was actually eating. I said, He took a fig, a prune,...a date?, yes, a date at one point.

No comments: