Monday, June 23, 2008

Settling In

I have unpacked my last box and stowed away my last few things. Only a few items are left hanging out in my bedroom, that I am unsure about. How is it possible for someone who has moved all over the world multiple times to carry so much baggage? I am certain I was a pack mule in a previous life or perhaps I am just preparing for that role in the next. And the boxes of books! I thought I only had one or two boxes of books but then when I started collecting them from here and there in my apartment--enough to fill out 10 banker boxes to the brim--I remembered that when I told my mother books come with the profession she reversed my thoughts by saying that the profession comes with books. I have had my share of books much longer than I have been a librarian.
I have weeded a fair number of items for the Goodwill and the annual regional white elephant in December. But that still leaves me with a lot of stuff. As I was combing through my possessions one by one and trying to be tough with myself, I found myself thinking. Oh, that scarf I got in San Francisco to use at the park, and I wore it at the beach in Hawaii and so&so used it for the red dress run in Hiroshima--I can't get rid of this. It's so small when it's folded, it won't take up so much space. And so now, I have crammed boxes into my linen closet with not so much as slip of paper fitting between them. And then there are all the size 10 & 12 clothes that I adore and want to hang on to because I want to be able to wear my Laura Ashley again.
But with this new thyroid diagnosis, I wonder if I should be hopeful that once the medication kicks in and my levels become regulated if I will be able to trim some of the weight off or if as others have been telling me that it is near impossible to trim down with a thyroid condition. I will hang on to them with hope for a while longer. They might be some serious vintage wear by the time I can get into them again.

No comments: