Sunday, July 13, 2008

Coldstone's NrGize--Don't Try It

Pronounced "Engergize", this is Cold Stone's newest creation to try to cash in on some of the market Pink Berry has carved out. But take my word, don't even give it a chance.

I am a big fan of frozen desserts. Pints of anything that I might buy don't stay in the freezer for very long--OK let's face it they usually don't even make it to the freezer. But here's the thing, I am not very discriminating. I love it all. I survived college dorm food by creating what was later called by my crowd "Marta-mix". This was a glass filled 2/3 full with soft serve and the rest of the way with chocolate milk and mixed to a thick shake consistency. I have even enjoyed frozen non-dairy whipped topping. Once again I am not very discriminating. So when I decide my $3.50 would be better in the trash can than in my stomach, you have to know it was seriously twisted.

So here's the story. I walked to the movie theater yesterday to catch a matinee--I saw Hancock. In the summer, I like to conserve energy by spending time in places that have to be cool. Besides, my apartment is still in disarray from the week in Anaheim and Vegas. I was strongly motivated not to stay home.

At about 4:20, the movie was over and I needed to walk the 20 minutes back to my apartment. Since the thermometer still clocked over 100, I decided that having a nice bit of ice cream would make the walk more pleasant. I am trying once to be more conscience of my diet so when I saw the new tangy yogurt being advertised, I thought I would give it a go. I love Pink Berry and even some of the Pink Berry knock offs but NrGize is in a whole different category. I should have put the brakes on the experience when the employee had trouble scooping out. "It has a strange consistency" she told me. In the picture there were blueberries mixed in that looked so refreshing and cool, I wanted blueberries as well. Second clue that I should have cancelled my order was the blueberries. These were little tiny things that look nothing like the fresh blueberries that Pink Berry and the like have. I asked if they were in syrup and the employee assured me they weren't. That's because about 15 seconds later I realized they were probably reconstituted blueberries. The type that comes in muffin mixes.

Here is my final analysis of Cold Stone's NrGize--I you are partial to frozen radiator fluid with bits and pieces of woody tasting reconstituted blueberries, then by all means give it a go otherwise STAY AWAY. I have just learned that there is a frozen dessert that I would rather throw away than consume. Who knew? It took me forty years to find it but alas I have.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I have never heard of Pink Berry, but I know for sure I'm staying away from NrGize!!!

And I forgot ALL about Marta Mix until I read this! LOL! Memories just came flooding back. =)

Carolyn Abrahams said...

You're right about the HUGE posters advertizing refreshing looking NrGize drinks/smoothies (with free boosts). I almost tried one the other day after Mason's soccer camp but opted for lemon sorbet instead. Glad I did. I've never heard of Pink Berry either. Is it like Jamba Juice?