Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Why do I have so many dramas?

In April I went back to Oklahoma for two weeks with the hopes that not only would I get to see my brother, home from Afghanistan, and celebrate my mother's birthday but that my cousin would have his surgery scheduled. I even got him an Oscar for Best Surgery as a souvenir from LA. Well, for a number of reasons the surgery was postponed and postponed until last Friday when he underwent open heart surgery to replace his heart valve. He has a bleeding disorder so that made it more complicated that it normally would. I was more than happy to make this event not about me at all--I wanted all my good energy thoughts to be focused on him. I called my Aunt early on Friday morning when he had just went into the OR--they expected that the surgery would be about 4 hours and then recovery time. I call again about two hours later for a second update--all was proceeding as planned. Good. Then the 3rd time I tried to call, my phone gives me the message that my service has been disconnected for non-payment. What? I paid my bill in June and I haven't gotten one for July yet. What is going on? I was anxious to hear about my cousin. I contact AT&T and even though I have been a customer for over 6 years now, they did not receive my payment on July 10th and on July 18th right about noon turned my service off. Why? Because I have never made a payment on the new number! Although I have made hundreds of payments to AT&T in the past and wait a minute I never pay my bill until towards the end of the month anyhow. How can it be late. Well something they failed to tell me when I changed my number was that different markets have different due dates so my due date changed to the beginning of the month not the end. But I never got a bill!
I paid the bill over the phone, they turned it back on, I called my aunt and my cousin was out of surgery and all was well. I so did not need any more drama. A manager from AT&T called me back explaining what I just explained and offered me $25 for the inconvenience of me having to sort through my own telephone drama while worried about what was happening in a hospital halfway across the country. Thank You AT&T for making Friday all about me and you. My only question is couldn't the telephone company have called me--a customer in good standing for more than 6 years to let me know that I had missed a payment? Other companies do why can't the telephone company? Because that would mean providing good customer service, obviously.
To end this on someone other than me, my cousin is continuing to do well, perhaps better than expected. He wants to be clearing a pasture next week--the stubborn guy that he is--he will probably try.

No comments: