Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Summer at the Library

This summer seems to be flying by--what ever happened to those long lazy summers? Obviously not in the library. We have our summer reading program and people are coming in droves. We are getting used to a new system--read this as it now takes twice as long to do anything--on top of a busier than usual summer. I think we are busy because of the economy. The library is a pretty good value really--if you own a home your property taxes have paid for the service, so you might as well use it. It is cool, comfortable, albeit pretty noisy these days, and we offer some pretty fun programs for free. On Friday we have the Teen Ice Cream Sundae competition. I did this one last year with good results at my old library. The teens make their ice cream sundaes using the stuff we provide. I got a variety of stuff including gummie bears, M&M's, Pringles (yes, that's right), syrups and other toppings for them to get creative. We take a photo of their creation and then while they are eating, we are printing out the results so that everyone can vote. We will give them three plastic coins to vote for their three favorite sundaes. The winners get some small prizes including a $5 gift card.
Last week was kind of crazy--wait what week isn't crazy it its own way?--but last week was special. First on Tuesday we had a diaper go seriously awry in the children's area. This involved me shutting down the area with caution tape until the cleaning people could come. Then on Wednesday we had a baby vomit on the rug during storytime. Joy. Once again the cleaners were called in. I really feel sorry for those guys but not sorry enough to want to take over. And while I was away in Vegas for the weekend the grand finale of the week occurred. An Aide told our male librarian that there were reports of a naked man in the bathroom. Luck was not with me monetarily in Vegas but obviously someone out there has my best interests at heart--I am eternally grateful and don't rue the money that I lost in Vegas just so that I did not have to deal with Naked Guy in the Bathroom.
But the summer isn't over yet.

1 comment:

Carolyn Abrahams said...

I am cracking up! Too funny. You know, we have our fair share of library weirdos too, especially since the homes here don't have A/C and the current temp inside my house is equal to that outside (a nice 85). The library is a very nice place to "cool off". Sorry to say but as hot as it's been in your area, I wouldn't be surprised if you see another "naked guy" or "gal" for that matter! :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for neither.
Mason signed up for the summer reading program a few weeks ago and is doing well (with my help of course). I guess you could say we've both got the bug. He didn't want to have anything to do with the kick-off face painting however. We also missed the sidewalk chalk day but hope to see the juggling puppeteer.
You'll have to blog about your trip to Vegas. Would love to hear all about it.