Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Matter of Faith

Yesterday a patron commented that she was glad that the library was being run by a Good Christian. I was momentarily confused and then I remembered that I was wearing my crucifix. I smiled in response because there was little more I could say without getting into a conversation I would rather not have. I have had a crucifix since I became Catholic in college and sometimes I feel like wearing it. Sometimes I don't. On Sunday I did and I haven't taken it off.
Here's the thing, I am Catholic and mostly happy being so (molesting priests aside), although I sporadically practice and I have certain beliefs that would probably get me burned or at least a nice long stretch on the rack if the Inquisition returns. Maybe I shouldn't wear the crucifix but I feel that there is enough latitude in Christianity that I can still do so with a fairly good conscience. I don't wear it to proclaim any beliefs, I wear it to remind myself of where I have been and where I can go. And to tell the truth, I wouldn't have any qualms about wearing a Buddha either for the same reasons although I have never been Buddhist.
But what does it mean to be a Good Christian, if I remember my literature right Elmer Gantry was also a Good Christian--I hope I am not like him. Nor would I care to be like some other Good Christians on the order of Tammy Faye & Jim Baker, and Jerry Fallwell. I also have no interest being aMega-Christian like Elmer Gan...uh oh I mean... Joel Osteen. So in my opinion being a Good Christian can mean anything from saving millions like Mother Theresa or robbing same said millions like Oral Roberts or have sex with them like Ted Haggard. I guess I can easily fall somewhere in the middle and can take that moniker if I please when it's offered.
Here's the thing about religion for me. It is a personal synthesis of your cultural background, world view, experiences, and soul. Personally, I don't have a hard time reconciling reincarnation, karma, purgatory, creation, evolution and some other Big Concepts. I feel the universe and the creator are far too mysterious for me to exclude any of these. I am not inclined to limit what I cannot possibly understand. Culturally, I am inclined to monotheism and spiritually the rituals of the high church resonnate--ergo I am Catholic but not one looking forward to the return of the Inquisition--I don't need to add any inches to my stature. Really.

No comments: