Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Connections

For the past several months, I have been thinking about P. He has been off on adventures since before I left Hawaii and now I didn't have a way to update him on my change of phone numbers. In fact on Saturday I wrote in my journal, I need to find P. Yesterday, Monday, P called me at work, finding me through Google. Not only is he back stateside but also in California--the northern part though. But it was good to hear his voice and reconnect.
I first met P in Hawaii. He moved into the house in the jungle to help the roommate with his start up business--the garage was converted into a massive tech room. After the gate wars, I decided to move into the luv shack in Aiea with J, C, & later M. For a few months P & I lost touch. He had moved out of the jungle as well. One evening I ran into him at the Thai restaurant in Waikiki. Since then we have stayed pretty much in contact. And in the way that islands work we realized that the Assistant Director of my school was his downstairs neighbor and eventually a teacher, S, worked with P at another job. Interwoven connections, six degrees of separation.
There was a fairly long period when P & I would meet on Mondays to go running around Diamond Head. This was a bright point in my time in Hawaii. Lots of fond memories generated through pounding feet & conversation. We were the constant with C and sometimes S joining us. With P, I could and still can talk about anything, but it is not the same as talking with other people about anything--I can do that with a few other people, too. But what makes talking to P different is that I only need to bring a topic up. I don't have to negotiate my meaning, P knows what I mean. He has pondered the same idea at some point. We just take off throwing thoughts that crash and meld to form something more substantial because we both think the same way. We are not alone in this world.
I am glad P is back. In 3 years I want him to walk the El Camino de Santiago Compestella with me. I have been seriously thinking about taking the walk for about a year. When I told P, he said of course he would go because in the past year he has encountered people talking about it around 20 times. Connections are fascinating.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I understand about connections too. I call it "Small World Syndrome." Just today I was telling my co-worker about one of my images that was used in a top 10 list blog. It was an image of a chalk art creation done at a street festival earlier in the summer. I sent my co-worker the link. He looked at the image, noticed that I gave credit to the artists of the chalk art, and exclaimed that it was his brother and niece that created it! Small World Syndrome...