Sunday, August 24, 2008

Santa Monica Redux

Another Saturday at Santa Monica Beach. This time I decided to head in the opposite direction of Venice Beach. I ended up at the end of Will Rogers beach about 3 or 4 miles away from the pier. The walk was very refreshing. The day started out overcast and cool--a perfect day for a long walk. Santa Monica and Venice have about a gazillion people but once away from the main parking towards Pacific Palisades the beach mostly empties to small pockets of people. The beach becomes very short so it was nice to hear the waves crashing, but Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) is also near. But it was easy to ignore the cars and focus on the beach, bikers and joggers. For most of the way I was on the South Bay Bike Trail, since I wasn't the only pedestrian I didn't feel too guilty--just a little guilty. I didn't realize the trail was so long, but I ran into mile markers 19 and 20. I now want to get a bike and bike the trail.
As I walked along, enjoying the soft air, and refreshing breeze, I had time to contemplate how much I really want to win the lottery and move back to the coast. I can't even fathom the prices but I can tell you two weeks ago a very dodgy looking studio for rent right off the parking area for $900 a week--yes that is right a $900 a week for what looks like 300 square feet of rat infestation. Yesterday, the sign was gone and the occupant had the door open, the interior pretty much matched the exterior. I really need to start buying those lottery tickets if I want to get out of the hot arid valley. But then if I look on the bright side I have upgraded my lot in the last 6 months from the windy desert to the up and coming Santa Clarita Valley.
The solitaire beach walk took me back to Hamada and the Kaihin Koen (Seaside Park). I loved taking my scooter through the back roads to watch the sunset at Honda Point, past the lotus ponds to Tamami Gaura where an earthquake brought a crosshatch of seafloor to surface and then around to Kainin Koen with its 2 miles of sandy beach, wave breaks, cabins, and clear blue water. During the summer between Golden Week (May) and Obon(mid-August) the beach was hopping with people fleeing the polluted humidity of Hiroshima. But after 5 o'clock the beach emptied out--all the tattoo-ed yakuza (Mafiosos), girls in stockings & heels, and surfers, and beach bunnies headed back to the big city across the mountains. There was always the end of the season atmosphere in the evenings but for me it was the best part of the day. The sun drifting down the horizon bringing relief from the heat and humidity of the day. One by one the squid boats lit up the darkening evening like a ethereal coming to life on the waves. Soon, I would hop on my scooter and head back through the back roads to my tiny apartment passing the rice polishing vending machine on the corner.
Just over an hour after I had started out, the path ended and I headed back. I walked up 157 steps--I counted them--to from the bike path up to Colorado Street where I headed onto the promenade to have lunch at Buddha's Belly. I had a lovely coconut curry with just enough spice and about 60 oz of water. After lunch, I walked to Venice and turned back. The sun decided to put in an appearance. I was glad I had sun blocked myself and donned a hat in the morning. There was no one interesting swinging on the rings so I didn't stop there.
At 2:45 I got back on the bus and headed back to the dry heat of Canyon Country. Really, memo to self, buy lottery tickets every week!

No comments: