Sunday, September 28, 2008

Crab Legs

Last night I had dreamed I was eating spindling crab legs. I looked up crab in a dream dictionary and it said that the meaning could be that I am tenacious or clingy or just plain ole crabby. Hmmm...I think I will go with tenacious.
But I woke up thinking about crab legs and my experiences with the crustaceans. I love crab legs but I think the first time I had tried them was when K and I went down to Lake Charles, LA to visit college friends. One evening at our friends house we had a big pile of crab legs, alligator and possibly even shrimp. I was sold.
Crab is some what easy to find in Japan, it is called Kani, so I had it occasionally there. One of the most amazing crabs I have ever had was one night I was invited over to a friend's friend's home for her birthday party. She owned a Hostess Bar and was well known for throwing pretty nice shindigs. She even entertained Bill Clinton once upon a time if the photo's were anything to go by. I walked into Shizue's apartment and into her living room only to be faced with the largest alien I have ever seen in my life. It was a Hokkaido King Crab and spanned the entire coffee table. Just sitting there, like a small Volkswagen. Someone offered me a joint--leg joint--that is. I took it and walked around feeling like Henry VIII with a turkey leg. One leg joint and I had enough crab to last me all evening. Amazing. I wonder sometimes if it was just a dream. But the next year, Shizue had another party. Economic times were a little rougher that year, instead of an entire crab brought in, she just had a box full of legs. Eight to ten legs were enough to feed the 20 or so people at the party. Man was that a big crab. I am very scared of going into the water. I wouldn't want to meet a vengeful cousin or anything down there.
My other fond crab memories involve Miss C, my roommate in Hawaii. We sometimes went to the Dixie Grill for the crab leg special. One of the most memorable times, was after the Marathon. I was tired and sore but boy did those crab legs make me feel so much better. What a way to replenish the 2600 calories lost during a marathon. Sometimes as well C or I would sup rise the other will crab legs. I must admit, I don't think I gained a real appreciation for the morsels until I saw how much C enjoyed them.
One time I had a pile of legs at the Stinky Rose in San Francisco. The legs were good, don't get me wrong but from C's influence I realized all too late that crab legs are best unadorned. With or without butter, but other spices tend to cover the gentle nuances that make crab such a delicate delight.
Maybe the real meaning behind my dream was that I haven't had crab legs in a long time and I really should have some. My subconscious is hungry. Thank goodness payday is around the corner. I might get some for Wednesday night dinner.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Ummmm, crab legs... Drool...