Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Library Programming

I'm not the only one with good and evil on the mind. While at the gym I saw a TV commercial for Nightline or some other news show asking Does Satan Exist? But enough of this line of thinking. I'm talking about library programming tonight.
With the sagging economy and a hiring freeze we will have to do more with less. But at the same time, I think that libraries need to do step up to the plate and do more for their customer base. So recently I have been planning monthly programs for our adults. I am lucky because I have a generous Friends of the Library group--FOL--that help pay for things that the County can't. This includes refreshments, prizes, and supplies and expenses.
In February, I asked on of my Aide's mom to do a jewelry making workshop. She did one last summer for the teens, so I was confident that she would do a good job. I had almost 30 people--29 women and one young man who wanted to make his girlfriend a gift for Valentine's. How sweet. Success.
Tonight I had a Fashion Swap Party at the library. It was a small turnout but everyone wants to do another one again so that they can convince their friends to come next time. One person picked up a silver frog ring for her sister's birthday.
I had three tables out where people could place their items depending on how nice they were. The participates could pick up tickets for each item they brought and then could choose from the same value table or a lesser value table. I served refreshments, had a CD on for background noise, mirrors stationed and a game. Everyone left happy. Yeah! Total cost for this program was about $30 ten of which went for the two Cold Stone Creamery gift cards I gave out. The other $20 was roughly for refreshments, but since, I drew from our refreshment supplies maybe that is exaggerating the budget.
Next month I have a free program which is a traveling art exhibit of the Santa Clara river valley--includes vintage photos and maps. The opening night reception will include live animals--bob cat, owls, etc from the valley with a professional talking about them. Then I asked a magician to come in for a show. I have passed out tickets. Several people have told me that it will be Mommy and Daddy's night out.
Then in May, I am doing a Luau out on our patio--that is seriously under utilized--for the family. I will have a limbo contest, several craft projects, photo opportunities, and some light snacks like pineapple, mango, and etc.
Anyway, that is what is happening in my library.

No comments: