Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Random Thoughts

Labor Day is a memory now. The end of summer is upon us. I had a rare two days off in a row. Due to computer upgrades I didn't work my usual overtime on Sunday, instead I went up to Lancaster to help the twins move their new furniture. They fed me their most excellent tortilla casserole--of which I had two helpings. Yum Yum. I am easy to bribe.
On Monday J and I to the last beach bus of the season to Santa Monica. We walked down to Venice, had a relaxing lunch listening to the street performers playing drums. Later we walked down to Muscle Beach to have a looksy. We got back to the bus about two minutes before it left, thankful we put in a two minute run on the boardwalk and made it in plenty of time.
Last Thursday I drove up to Palmdale and had a horrible doctor's visit. My appointment was at 9:30. At about 10:15 they put in the little room. At about 10:45 with no magazines or books to read, I was about to go stir crazy. News Flash: Claustrophobic girl does not hand small confined spaces very well without reading materials to distract. So needless to say when the doctor finally saw me, I was about to come unwound. Then we had the thyroid argument which put me in a worse state. I wanted more blood tests, the doctor said no--she didn't need them. But I do! Then I went out and waited another thirty minutes for them to take my blood. Oh, yeah, I hadn't had anything to eat since the night before, so I was cranky from low blood sugar as well. UGH!
I got copies of my lab results and it shows that my kidney's may not be functioning optimally. This scares me as I have a family history of diabetes and kidney failure. I am not clear why the doctor failed to inform me of these results. Perhaps it is all due to the thyroid, if so I think that explanations should have been put in order. When I got home, I called to change doctors--one closer to home and with any luck one that will listen to me.
All said and done, I am feeling better. The scale has not budged in months, though. I guess the bright side of that is that it hasn't moved the other way either. I am walking a lot and running some. I am glad that at least I feel like I want to do these things. For longer than I can really remember it was such struggle that I usually lost with me licking my wounds with a Little Caesar's Pizza. That hasn't happened in at least a few weeks. Progress. I guess that is all I can ask for.

No comments: