Sunday, September 14, 2008

Walk About Downtown

Friday was my day off. Since the weather broke a few days ago, I thought it would be nice to explore my city for the day. I took the Metrolink downtown and then hopped on the Metro to China Town. China Town's around the world are pretty much the same. Congested streets, mazes of small shops of kitchy goods and the wafting smells of fried food, soy sauce, and uncooked meat.
I had lunch at a noodle shop. My eyes were bigger than my stomach and was only able to finish most of my noodles and hardly any soup. Thus filled, I headed downtown to the main branch of LA Public. I like this library. It is what you imagine a library should look like. Stately, proud, and emitting a presence. People often confuse LAPL with the county system. It is easy to do. We don't have a main library rather we have a big box called Library Headquarters. Not very awe inspiring, but then the whole point of the county system is that we are a network of stand alone libraries that serve smaller cities and unincorporated areas. Nevertheless, I am a little envious.
After visiting the library, I hopped on the bus to Beverly Hills. I love to people watch, I haven't spotted anyone famous yet, but I did almost get run over by a group teens in a Range Rover--must be nice! After paying homage to Prada, I decided to walk from Rodeo & Santa Monica down to Hollywood and Vine where I would catch the subway back to Union Station and then the 9:00 train back to Santa Clarita.
It was such a nice day, a light breeze blowing. Since this is a 7 mile trek, I was pleased with the weather. Soon I arrived in West Hollywood. I looked around and the row of restaurants and thought it looked like a fun trendy area to be. I saw a couple of guys eating dinner outside. I thought "Oh, they are pretty good-looking" Then I added "Wait a minute, they are perhaps too good looking. I think they are on a date." Then at the next restaurant I noticed a group of too good looking guys, too. Before I could formulate any other opinions, I was distracted by the two guys dancing in underwear at either end of a bar. I looked up just in time before I plowed into another group of guys coming down the street. Yes, that is right, I had unwittingly stumbled upon the gay area of LA. And to prove the point, I spotted Old Glory flying next to a couple of rainbow flags. I looked around, thought everyone was having such a good time, I thought "I wish I were a gay guy." But I am not, and I didn't belong, so I moved on.
Eventually I ended up after sunset in Hollywood to the usual chaos. Since reading Joseph Wambaugh's Hollywood Crows which presents all the characters as crackheads, pick pockets and other nefarious types, I saw them with an all new light. Over on the sidewalk to my left almost in front of Virgin Records, there was some punked out dude passed out on the side walk. All though there were a couple of paramedics and security guards standing around him, no one seemed to be making a fuss. I thought perhaps he was dead, but then decided that there would have been more commotion if so. Note to self: Don't pass out in Hollywood.
At about 8:15 I took the Metro back to Union Station. The train was about an hour late so I didn't get home until 11:00. When I got in my car, I discovered the reason for the tardiness. A massive train collision on the Venture Line with a freight train. What a tragic accident, with over 25 dead and many more injured. Just goes to proved my dad was right: Messing with the three T's (trains, trucks and trees) will really mess you up.

No comments: