Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Lollipop Moment

I watched Drew Dudley's TED Talk  where he talked about a time at university where he impacted another student's life which involved a lollipop.  He didn't remember the event, but his everyday actions changed the lives of the people that he came into contact with--some of them significantly.  He discusses how this is leadership, it isn't something out there, an ideal that few can reach, but rather  everyday we can chose actions that they may have a positive impact on others.  And when other's actions do have positive outcomes in our lives, we should celebrate them.
Since his lollipop moment resulted in the marriage of two people who might otherwise not have met, I remember my own moment.  I had a student that was in her last 20's, she was an account and had to deposit receipts almost daily.  She found that every time she went to the bank she often had the same teller.  He eventually asked her out and they went on a date.  On the date, he revealed that he was in his early twenties.  During class she told me she thought she wouldn't go out with him again because he was too young for her--this was pre-Demi/Ashton days--she asked my thoughts on the subject.  I told her that only she could know if he was too young for her or not.  I told her the story of another student in Japan who was actually 14 years older than her husband and that they had one of the best marriages that I knew of.  I also explained that it only made since for women to be older than men because women lived longer than men.  If the woman is younger then she will more than likely become a widow.  If the woman is older then they will more likely die closer together.  Maybe not the soundest logic in town.  I am not sure which story swayed her more, but I was invited to the wedding a year later.  My words changed lives.  I forget this fact.
As a manager, I know that my decisions will impact others, but I don't always remember this from day to day.  In November, I want to be more mindful of my own words and actions.  I want to remember to Use my words for Good and Not for Evil.

No comments: