Monday, November 3, 2014

Preparing

If the future looks like me being a Library Director, what can I do help prepare myself to take on that role.   When searching the web, I found the Handbook for New Public Library Directors in New York State. I am impressed at how thoughtful this document is.  I doubt I will end up in New York state--but I have learned not to disbelieve in any possibility.  When I am offered a position, I will use this as a guide to ensure that I am not overlooking something during the learning curve phase.  
Having the tools to ensure success of a project is essential.  Tools may be as simple
as the right pair of shoes doubled knotted. 
One of the gaps in my knowledge is grant writing.  I think the key here is that this is a knowledge gap.  I am intelligent, able to identify gaps and then work to fill them.  Grants demand planning and a process.  The skeleton of that process is:
  • Statement of need
  • Project Description
  • Evaluation
  • Sustainability
  • Budget
  • Documentation
  • Compliance
  • Reporting
The project might be long and at times uphill and the signposts few
and the route at times unclear but as long as the goal is kept in
mind and the route is one where lessons are thoughtfully considered and learned the
success can be had. 
One of the most valuable experiences, I have ever been part of was the Accreditation process.  I had less to do with the building of the accreditation document--Andrea, a very competent instructor was tasked with that.  But when the gaps in the process were identified, I worked on filling them.  This included the long range and short range planning process, documentation that specific policies changes had been implemented, and a narrative of the compliance process.

The planning process was the most enlightening.  I worked with the small but effective executive team--me the director, the assistant director, head teacher, and the office manager to create the plans.  After we had crafted a document we were comfortable with to guide us, I found that we were then making decisions based on whether it met the goals of the plan or not.  This was liberating and streamlined the should we or shouldn't we conversation.  

Grant writing is similar in that there is a process.  Outside bodies will be evaluating the process and what is most needed is to take each step one by one methodically to be successful.  And to have a plan with specific goals will assist in the grant writing process because it will identify needs that we can search for grants to fill.

No matter what, I will not be on my own in any of this.  There will be other staff that can be part of the grant writing team.  Depending on the place, I may take a more active role in the process but my primary function in any case is to support and guide the process in a way that will allow for optimal success. 


No comments: