Thursday, December 4, 2008

From Luddite to Tech Trouble Shooter

How did this happen? I started college before Bill Gates made PC's a household name. I was at the cusp of the tech revolution. Some friends like K embraced the new technology. Me--I thought my electronic typewriter was nifty enough. I avoided the issue of technology by fleeing to Japan. I know how that sounds but as late as 2000 internet cost 10 yen (about 10 cents) a minute and not so many people had computers at home. One friend described Japan as a cross between the Flintstones and the Jetsons. Boy was she ever right. In 1998 another friend set up a Hotmail account for me and walked me through the steps of how to use it.
In 2000, I came back to the States and was contemplating a career in Library Information Sciences. I realized I had to get over my fear of computers. Also I had just been promoted to Managing Director of the little language school I worked at which required a few more tech skills than I had. I began to take some courses--Saturday workshops--at the local community college. Then Devon found a grant for small businesses that paid for us to attend classes. We both took a number of Office program courses and suddenly we were cranking out fliers, spreadsheets and other documents like pros.
So here I am in 2008 working for the County with public PC's. I still consider myself a novice by a long shot. However, that being said, I am constantly amazed when I am the most tech savvy person on staff. I have a couple of young part-time employees that know more than me, but otherwise I am the troubleshooter. I am the one that figure things out. And with the public, I am the pro that can solve most of their problems most of the time.
I no longer quake at the thought of learning some new application but neither am I overly thrilled at it either. I generally use technology at work and then go home to my quiet home without internet and cable TV. If I want to check my e-mail, post blog entries, I head off for Cuppy's coffee or wait for my lunch hour. I suspect that other people my age are either very tech savvy or just uses it on a needs to basis.

No comments: