Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holiday Festivities

It has been a busy holiday season. First, there was the my library region's annual holiday breakfast where we have a white elephant to raise funds for our scholarship fund. I was one of the three organizers for the breakfast. I nominated myself for decorations and I was nominated to be the MC on the morning of. I love things like this. I enjoy decorating and seeing how a room is transformed. I also enjoy being the center of attention and my voice is loud enough to command attention. It is hard to believe that my first adult students in Japan told my boss that although they liked me that had a heard time hearing me. Talking through numerous throat infections--either from the pollution in Hiroshima or hanging out in smokey bars (I claim the former rather than the latter)--has given me a powerful resonating voice. But anyway back to the story. I had fun but was exhausted afterwards, I spent about an hour presenting gifts to the winning person. An hour of walking in my high heels albeit comfortable ones were about all I could take.
Tuesday was the Friends of the Library potluck and "gift" exchange. The gifts here were donated books that we picked up. We drew numbers and chose a nicely wrapped gift. We could steal something already opened or choose a package to open. I made fondue and ate way too much of all the other goodies that everyone brought.
On Thursday we had our library's potluck and gift exchange. I prepared stockings and other gifts that everyone could draw a number to choose or steal already opened presents. I got a pack of 5 scratchers and thought that would be the hot prize but no, the most wanted gifts were little stuffed lambs I got from Bath & Body. One employee was so disappointed that her lamb was stolen she complained about the next day. The good manager that I am, I went to Bath & Body yesterday to get another one so that she will feel better. For the potluck I made fondue again--that goodness for Sam's big blocks of cheese. One block was good for two fondues. I am so glad fondue is back in vogue again.
Yesterday & this morning, I went of to M's sister's house for the Reyes family Birthday and Christmas. The made tamales. Wow! were they ever good. I am usually just so-so about tamales although most of my tamale experience has been the Hormel canned variety. But the tamales were made with a spicy masa and the meat was nicely seasoned. I went back for seconds and then had another this morning when I arrived. It is nice to spend time with a big family. I miss that I am not with my own family but I am thankful that M is such a good friend that she has made me feel a part of her family.
So now with my apartment in a big mess, I still need to get my Christmas cards out. I will do that tonight or tomorrow. M has invited me back over to her sister's house for Christmas Eve dinner and I will probably spend Christmas with P. I am so glad he is back. It has been a good season. I am beginning to feel that California is my home and I am getting grounded. Now if only I could find a boyfriend things would be complete--well, I think that would also take getting a dog. Things are good, so I will be happy with what I have and not dwell on what I don't.
I hope everyone's season is as fullfilled as mine is. Merry Christmas, Happy Winter Solstice, and Happy New Year.

No comments: