Thursday, December 18, 2008

There's a Reason Why I Don't Travel to Oklahoma...


in the winter. Yesterday, we had low temperatures, rain, snow and road closures in LA County. In Canyon Country it was just cold and rainy but up the Antelope Valley got several inches. The 14 Freeway was closed as were a number of highways in and around LA. M says the last time it snowed like it did yesterday was 23 years ago or slightly longer than a blue moon.
J's library was closed so he called me telling me I should call in sick--although I was already at work--and drive up past the winery on Sierra Hwy where it looked like the east coast with snow blowing around and swirling. About an hour later, they closed the Sierra Hwy. I presumed that J didn't get stuck because this afternoon he re-deployed to my library. His library was still closed today.
I don't like going back to Idabel in the winter because you just never know what is going to happen, it might be sunny and 50 degrees on moment and minus 12 the next. No joke, I have seen it happen. One year, little brother and I came home for Thanksgiving. On Saturday an ice storm hit. This meant that my dad had to drive us 250 miles on icy roads and then turn back around to drive back. I was a basket case by the time we got there. Another year, it was returning after Christmas holidays--I just happened to also have had a virus that was at first passed off as a nervous disposition. Three days later and still no stomach relief told another story. But it was a miserable ride back with me being sick in the back coupled with ice roads.
One year I had to go to OKC to fly to Houston get my visa, fly back to OKC to fly to Japan. Like all my trips to Japan, a very tight turn around. My friend Cathy was down on business and offered to drive me to OKC. We got to Shawnee when the ice storm hit. At first we thought we would press on but when the truck on the other side of the divided highway swept another car and itself in the ditch, Cathy looked at me and we both said "We're stopping for the night." The next morning it was 50 degrees and OKC was not a problem. I even had a couple of hours to spare to get to the airport and my plane.
I live in Southern California for a reason. And weather like yesterday is one of the reasons. If it visits once in every 25 or so years, I guess I can live with it.

No comments: