Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Fetal Position is Looking Mighty Comfortable.

I am thinking about hiding under my desk. This morning I arrived to find out that the janitorial contracts have fallen apart and in the night after closing rather than cleaning the library, the company was quietly removing any stock in the janitor's closet whether it belong to the company or not. They took our recycle trash can--the bastards. Fortunately, because I had a heads up, I was able to tuck away some toilet tissue so we had enough to last the morning until I went to Sam's Club to pick up toilet paper, paper towels, and hand soap. Tomorrow morning my first duty is to take out the trash!
Later reports that there is a homeless guy living in the back of the library. He has taken a table from our patio to create a fort. In my high heels I was reluctant to climb to the wall to check it out, so the children's assistant hopped up to take a photo for me. Maybe I need to start wearing more sensible shoes to work.
In the process we found out that when they changed the door alarm on one of the three armed doors, they took the keys to one of them. Fortunately no one has accidental tried to open the door. See is a silver lining.
In the afternoon, I had a customer in my office that got into a verbal exchange with another customer. Basically, I said "Just don't do it, come to us at the desk, we will handle problems." This conversation probably lasted 15 minutes longer than it should have.
The just before closing, the police come to roust my homeless guy out. I feel awful because he is actually according to the officer a normal sort of guy who has just lost his job, and his brother that he was staying with went off to war so he was left homeless. The shelter is full. The officer indirectly suggested that he was too normal for the craziness that happens at the shelter. I feel about 2 inches tall for having the roust a guy that is down on his luck from an area that is quite safe and he doesn't have to worry about getting mugged in the night. Not everything in my job description is fun or enjoyable.
This week has two more working days. Maybe tomorrow will be a saner day that the previous few days. I can only hope but fear that I will see more and more of these days until the economy starts getting better. I just have to say "Mr. Obama please hurry up and fix the boo-boos. If you want I am a willing to try to scrounge up a couple of band-aids"

No comments: