Sunday, February 15, 2009

Recap of Single Awareness Day

Saturday morning I was getting ready to head out for some shopping when Gilbert the friendly cable guy gave me an offer I couldn't refuse--Internet, cable, and Showtime for a year for a cool $53 a month. The added bonus was that I wouldn't have to be held hostage in my apartment for hours on end waiting for the service guy to come for the appointment. Instant gratification. I can now be the average American who vegges out in front of the TV in the evening. But of course this being me, there were minor complications with the easy as a snap installation. The first modem didn't work and the first remote control didn't work so the promised 20 minute installation turned into an hour and a half. But hey, I didn't have to wait hours for him to arrive so I am still pleased.
After Gilbert left I went to Wahoos for fish tacos and to Whole foods, then Trader Joes, Sam's Club and Walmart. The shopping extravaganza will be explained next time.
After I stowed all my goodies, I took some pastries and a bottle of champagne over to J's to play Mario Kart. The pastries were snarfed the champagne in the fridge to chill and we went to see He Just Not That Into You. Very cute and funny movie. J wasn't too grumbly about seeing a chick-flick.
After the movie we headed back to my place to WATCH TV! J doesn't have cable either so he was totally stoked about the thought of watching Saturday Night Live, The Real World. All was fun and games, champagne in our glasses--J had retrieved the bottle I took over to his earlier--and a plate of fruit on coffee table. J was surfing through the channels until he broke the cable box. Well, he didn't really but it froze up for a while. So in the interim, I put in School House Rocks in the DVD player. Nothing is better than a second bottle of champagne and signing along to children's songs.
The TV came back on I decided to call Hawaii so see how the Red Dress Run Went. Yep, I was just a tiny bit tipsy. J found the Princess Bride. J seems to know most of the dialog, so I was amused. Yes, it is easy to amuse me after midnight when I have had a bottle of champagne of a stomach that just had some pastries, a couple of handfuls of popcorn, and fruit since lunch. At some point it seemed like a good idea to open a bottle of Riesling. J amused himself by setting my internet homepage to FOX News and my iPhone wallpaper to a picture of him wearing a sombrero.
Oh the fun of imbibing fermented grapes while watching CABLE TV came crashing down on my head and stomach this morning at 9:30. I met J in the parking lot at the library this afternoon, he looked in much better shape than I was. I had just barely kept down a handful of fries before we had to come to work. Now it is almost 3:00, and gloriously the salt, fat, and grease of McDonald's fries have worked their magic. Thank goodness!

No comments: