Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Setsubun no hi

Setsubun is the day before the lunar change of the season. The Setsubun Festival is celebrated in Japan on Feb 3rd or 4th depending on the year. It's not a big festival but it is fun. You stand in your doorway and throw Setsubun beans (roasted soybeans) into the house saying Oni way soto, Fuku wa uchi which means Demons out and good luck in. Last night I bought some wasabi peas--the closest I could get to roasted soybeans and after blessing my apartment, I headed over to J's with the peas, a bottle of plum wine (umeshu) and a couple of lottery tickets. I had J throw beans into his apartment twice because the first time, I had him inviting the demons into his house--oops. I'm not sure that the second time actually blessed the apartment because neither of us won anything on the lottery tickets. Maybe I should have had him throw them three times. Afterwards we had the wine and ate the wasabi peas. I love this festival. The other part of the festival is that you should eat your age in roasted soybeans--they aren't very tasty so it is no easy feat. Wasabi peas are much easier to get your age down. And third part is to face a direction (I don't remember which) and eat a foot long maki-sushi. I love Japanese Festivals!

No comments: